Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Unable to boot to new install
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12
TOPIC: Unable to boot to new install
Unable to boot to new install 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,
I came across your product while wanting to dul boot to linux, but without a total reinstall of my HD. I am running Win7 x64 and discovered it supported booting from a VHD, great, but not Linux, boo, but then I found you, yay!

I downloaded the 10-04 Ubuntu desktop to get a feel of it, as although I have used Linux on and off for a number of years, the internals of how it boots up (initramfs etc..)is still a bit of a mystery to me.

Ok, so my problem is...

Firstly I tried to run the Setup64.exe, that seemed to work somewhat, but I couldnt quite understand why it was using a new drive letter, so I made sure the 2 needed files were in the C:\ root (vbootldr and vbootldr.mbr) and a boot folder with the grub and fonts olders were also in the c:\ root Then I followed (ie copy pasted) the bcdedit comands to add an item to the boot menu. and rebooted.

Great the option was there, I selected VHD boot and I came to the VBoot selection menu with one option.

This didnt get any further.

Looking at the commnds I noticed the last line was incorrect, it was looking for a file called

initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic-vboot

wheras the correct file I assumed was

initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic

(note the missing -vboot bit) So I changed it to reflect this and this seemed to work. until it crashed out at the initramfs part, after the driver appeared to have loaded saying

/host/ubuntu-1004/ubuntu-1004-desktop-i386.vhd

Does not Exist!

and drops out to an ash shell with a initramfs prompt.

So my questions

1 Where is the firt reference to the -vboot version of the initrd? so I can edit it so I dont have to change it every time?

2. The .vhd is in a folder called "ubuntu-1004" at the root of c:\ ( ie c:\ubuntu-1004\), so what is the /host/ part about?

If anyone could help would br greatly appreciated as I think this a brilliant piece of software and could be very usefull to me, but I am just unable to progres without more help.

Many thanks.
Blaklite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Unable to boot to new install 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
It's supposed to work without manually editing anything. We will will test more of that vhd file.

The error indicates that you have specified a wrong "root=" option, /host is the link inside linux that points to the device you specified via "root=" option.

root=/dev/sda1 is for first hard disk, partition 1. If your C drive (the one stores the linux VHD) is partition 2, then change it to root=/dev/sda2.

When booting to vboot screen, you can press "E" to edit an entry, then press "Control X" to boot.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: Unable to boot to new install 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 52
When you run setup64.exe, a new grub.cfg file should be auto generated. Is that the case? you don't need to edit this file if new.
admin
graph
User Offline

Re:Unable to boot to new install 9 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I am assuming that the root= option is the one that is in

c:\vboot\grub\grub.cfg

Where the "menuentry" entry is :

menuentry "VHD Ubuntu 10.04, Linux 2.6.32-21-generic" {
insmod vhd
vhd vhd0 (hd0,1)/ubuntu-1004/ubuntu-1004-desktop-i386.vhd --partitions
linux (vhd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=/dev/sda1 vloop=/ubuntu-1004/ubuntu-1004-desktop-i386.vhd vlooppart=p1 quiet splash
initrd (vhd0,1)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-21-generic-vboot
}

The root=/dev/sda1 sees to be correct, ie pointing to the frist drive in the (physical)system, or I guess the mounted vhd?

I assume the root should point to the mounted vhd ie as the first drive, but then what does my physical hard disk become when running from the vhd?

Just for info here is the message when I run the setup64.exe from "c:\ubuntu-10004\setup64.exe"
(NB I have 2 physical disk with 2 columes on each, hence G being the next available free drive. But I did have a previous drive as a G: but now removed, could that cause the "Failed to set device for the VBoot entry." line?)
+ I noticed a problem when I first ran it from c:\tmp\ubuntu-1004\, it didnt seem to pickup the correct file paths, ie it assumes it is being run from a folder directly off the root of c:\

Setup installs VBoot Loader, and adds a boot entry to Windows.
Do you want to continue?(y/n)
Create a temporary drive letter G: to partition: \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Copy dir: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\grub -> G:\vboot\grub
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\vbootldr.mbr -> G:\vbootldr.mbr
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\vbootldr.mbr -> G:\vboot\vbootldr.mbr
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\vbootldr -> G:\vbootldr
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\vbootldr -> G:\vboot\vbootldr
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\fonts\unicode.pf2 -> G:\vboot\fonts\unicode.pf2
Copy file: C:\ubuntu-1004\vboot\fonts\ascii.pf2 -> G:\vboot\fonts\ascii.pf2
Failed to set device for the VBoot entry.
Boot entry has been successfully added to BCD.
You can now reboot your computer, the select the last boot entry.

I hope this sort of makes sense...
Blaklite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

oops please diregard th last message, seems you were right.

From initramfs prompt I did a "ls /host" just to double check, and seems that my machine wants to see my drive E: as /dev/sda1

Changing it to "/root=/dev/sdb1" seemed to do the trick.

BUT this now leads to another problem( this is why I only play with Linux) with my display. I think it loads but my display just switches off, probably due to iffy X settings.

Perchance you could remind me of the line to use to boot to the "VGA Mode" or "Rescue Mode" so I can just log in.

Just had a thought as I have first loaded the vhd in a VM, perhaps this has changed the settings so I will replace to a freshly extracted vhd and see if that does the trick.

Again, thanks for your time.
Blaklite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

No joy,

I have a feeling it is not liking my gfx card setup ( I have 2 mismatched Nvidia's)

I will be trying with an empty vhd to do a manual install, perhaps someone might have any links/tips for me to reference ??

Many thanks again.
Blaklite
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 12