Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

"Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: "Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6
"Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Hi everybody.

I've a problem with the actual version of VMLite (i'm running Win 7 32-bit and i've downloaded the 32-bit package of XPMode from Microsoft website):

in the wizard, when preparing the new hard drive for xpmode, it gives me this error "Failed to prepare".

I've previously installed and removed Oracle's Virtual Box.

Could that be the problem?

I've also tried to reboot the PC countless times and tried both the .exe package and the installed version of XPMode, but none of them worked.

I had installed XPMode without a problem with the old version of VMLite, but I deleted the "VMLites" folder under User--->"Nameofmyuser" by mistake, and now nor the new or the old version are working.

Thank for help, and sorry for my bad english (my native language is Italian).
Marsoni
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
We have spent lots of time to fix this error from last version. It's supposed to be much better than 3.1.2, but seems you are still getting it.

Can you check if vmlitestor driver is working on your pc? run the following in a command window as Administrator:

sc query vmlitestor

if this works, you can try the following:

(1) kill all vmlite.exed vboxsvc.exe process (use task manager to do it if don't quite automatically)

(2) run VMLite Wizard as Administrator

it will display much more info when you prepare the disk
admin
graph
User Offline

Re: "Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Thanks for the tip. I'm doing everything right now.

I've attached the output of the command program to this message, so you can see it.

However I think it's running.

Now i'm trying to install XPMode again with administrator rights.

P.S: I've not found the processes that you wrote before in the task manager.
Marsoni
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Re: "Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
IT WORKED!!!!!

I ran the wizard with administrator rights and it worked!

Now is preparing XPMode for first use.

Thank you very much for helping me, and congratulations for this wonderful program!
Marsoni
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/08/28 08:53 By Marsoni.

Re: "Failed to prepare" error with VMLite Workstation 3.2.6 9 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 52
That's nice to know. It's supposed to work without running as Administrator. Can you also check "sc query vmliteservice"? is it running on your host?

Once vm finished with setup and working, shut down the vm, then reboot your host pc.

After reboot, don't use Administrator mode to run the vm. You only need Administrator mode when you have trouble running the wizard.

It may cause conflicts if you run vm as Administrator, your vm shortcuts under Start menu won't work from Administrator.

This is to do with Vista/7's User Account Control (UAC) security.
admin
graph
User Offline

Ok, i checked this new command and it says it's running (4running, like previous image).

I'll try after it has finished with windows update if it works after rebooting the PC without administrator rights.
Marsoni
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123