Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Failed to boot vboot 1.0(XP/2003 32-bit )
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 12345678...10
TOPIC: Failed to boot vboot 1.0(XP/2003 32-bit )
Re:Failed to boot vboot 1.0(XP/2003 32-bit ) 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
admin wrote:
Right, this means the virtual cdrom failed. Most likely, your hard disk requires some other 3rd party scsi drivers, such as those ACHI you mentioned. Since you place the .iso file on your hard disk, if Windows XP has no drivers for your real hard disk at that time, it will fail.

Notice that the installation process has minimum driver support, so it's easy to get BSOD. Once XP is installed, it may work well, which is most likely the case for Firadisk.

It's a very good observation about inserting a second floppy. We will investigate this. The best approach is to allow a user to change the floppy images at runtime. Right now, only one floppy is emulated.

I managed to pass the 0x7B BSOD with the following:
1) I added the mass storage driverpack from driverpacks.net to my XP CD.
2) I merged my ACHI drivers with the VBOOT.IMG virtual disk. Now I can see both the Vboot driver and the ACHI driver when I key F6

Hoowever, I get the following during XP installation: "Setup cannot copy the file vbootdsk.sys". Why is this? I've added my modified txtsetup.oem for reference. Cheers.
File Attachment:
File Name: txtsetup.zip
File Size: 882
supaJ
Junior Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2010/11/15 17:31 By supaJ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

As I post this reply, I am actually working from a Vboot configured XP. Finally got it to work. I mounted the VHD in Windows 7 and manually injected the Vboot drivers(vbootdsk.sys, etc) into it. Good work VMLITE. Now I don't need to worry about whether my virtual disk is contigous or not.

However, I would still appreciate some work on the following:
1) Additional virtual floppies in grub2 at boot time. This will enable us to load our mass storage , SCSI, etc drivers.
2) A resolution to "Setup cannot copy the file vbootdsk.sys" during the X installation.

Hope you can resolve those issues. Many thanks to all at VMLITE. Cheers!!!
supaJ
Junior Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Failed to boot vboot 1.0(XP/2003 32-bit ) 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 52
Those entries are looking ok to me. Can you double check if you have disk1 file inside the floppy? Kind of weirld messages.

By the way, do you know if Windows XP setup would take 2 floppies? one for vboot, one for 3rd party drivers. We can add a second floppy emulation.

supaJ wrote:
admin wrote:
Right, this means the virtual cdrom failed. Most likely, your hard disk requires some other 3rd party scsi drivers, such as those ACHI you mentioned. Since you place the .iso file on your hard disk, if Windows XP has no drivers for your real hard disk at that time, it will fail.

Notice that the installation process has minimum driver support, so it's easy to get BSOD. Once XP is installed, it may work well, which is most likely the case for Firadisk.

It's a very good observation about inserting a second floppy. We will investigate this. The best approach is to allow a user to change the floppy images at runtime. Right now, only one floppy is emulated.

I managed to pass the 0x7B BSOD with the following:
1) I added the mass storage driverpack from driverpacks.net to my XP CD.
2) I merged my ACHI drivers with the VBOOT.IMG virtual disk. Now I can see both the Vboot driver and the ACHI driver when I key F6

Hoowever, I get the following during XP installation: "Setup cannot copy the file vbootdsk.sys". Why is this? I've added my modified txtsetup.oem for reference. Cheers.
File Attachment:
File Name: txtsetup.zip
File Size: 882
admin
graph
User Offline

supaJ wrote:
2) A resolution to "Setup cannot copy the file vbootdsk.sys" during the X installation....

I may be able to point you in the direction you need to look. Sorry, this is generalized, but it's been so long since I've bothered with XP this is from memory.

1) XP only 'knows' about a couple of floppy drive hardware platforms. That is, using a 'real' machine, if you want to use a floppy to load device drivers, it must be one of the 'known' drives, otherwise it will read it fine at the first F6 prompt, but fail to read when the installation is actually trying to load the driver files. This can be fixed by changing the 'known' floppy devices list in the XP install iso/disc, but frankly at that point one might as well just slipstream the drivers directly into the iso/disc.

2) IIRC, the drivers actually need to be in a folder on the floppy, called OEM or something like that: sorry, I really don't recall the precise name - I just know that after getting one of the 'known' floppy drives (an old IBM usb unit - ever wonder why these go for relatively big $ on ebay?), the problem still happened until I copied the driver files into an appropriately named subfolder.

Rob
heycarnut
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/11/15 21:58 By heycarnut.

Anybody experienced error:

Can't determine disk geometry

That happens on vbootctrl createhd vhd image

sebus
sebus
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re:Failed to boot vboot 1.0(XP/2003 32-bit ) 9 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 52
This usually indicates a path problem. Try to adjust the partition #. Also press "C" to enter command mode, and use "ls" command to identity the file. For example,

ls (hd0,1)/
ls (hd0,2)/

The path is case SENSITIVE too

sebus wrote:
Anybody experienced error:

Can't determine disk geometry

That happens on vbootctrl createhd vhd image

sebus
admin
graph
User Offline

Go to topPage: 12345678...10