Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

VBoot v1.1 released
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1...7891011121314
TOPIC: VBoot v1.1 released
Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 50
Released a maintenance buid, that expires on Sep 15, 2011. After that, we will push out v2 for testing.

This build has these changes:

(1) include another boot file "vboot-black-screen" file to be used if you are getting black screens or other boot loader problems. You need to rename this file to "vboot", read more on the readme.html file.

(2) fixed a rare vhd corruption error
admin
graph
User Offline
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Why is the XP boot loader placed on my real HDD instead of the VHD? I followed exactly the guide. I had to use the Windows 7 DVD to repair the bootloader.

Vista setup from ISO/DVD no longer fails with "CD driver missing", but fails at 76%. I checked the setuperr.log and saw this:

Code:

2011-08-22 12:28:04, Error      [0x0603ae] IBS    Callback_PickTempDrive: Failed to collect temp drive requirements. HRESULT error code [0x8007000D][gle=0x0000000d]
2011-08-22 12:28:38, Error      [0x064199] IBSLIB SetCheckpoint(StartPhaseSystemVolumeSelectedCheckpoint): threw exception.: class UnBCL::DirectoryNotFoundException: \\?\C:\Boot\*: path not found.
void __stdcall UnBCL::File::ThrowWinIOErr(long,const class UnBCL::String *)

inside the VHD, the bootloader is also missing. So my does the updated version no longer copies the bootmgr into the VHD?
MagicAndre1981
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user

Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
Is it possible to update grub to 1.99?
The new version has a good manual.
And maybe release a version without the hotkeys... so that you can't accidentally push those buttons?!?
Alfalfa
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/08/22 23:13 By Alfalfa.

Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Suppose I made a VHD backup of an existing Win7 install, and then want to boot Win7 from that VHD on the same PC, or simply mount the VHD after booting to an original Win7 HD. Since Windows can't tolerate several disks with the same disk ID Signature, will it try to change my original disk ID after booting from VHD, or try to change VHD disk ID after mounting it?

What will happen after that - will I be able to boot again from the original HD or VHD after its ID has been changed by Windows and will no longer match the ID recorded in that disk Windows Registry at OS install?
sambul16
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/09/08 18:48 By sambul16.

Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 77
yes, this is very good question.

Windows doesn't allow two disks to have same disk signature, so you will have to modify it. Windows will automatically modify the signature if a conflict is discovered.

If you mount with vboot, vboot actually restores back the original signature back to vhd after disk is dismounted.

In short, you will have to modify one disk's signature, and also sync it up with the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

You can modify either the real hd or the vhd.
huisinro
graphgraph

Re:VBoot v1.1 released 3 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 0
Thanks!

That prompted some other questions:

- If I boot to VHD by using Vboot, my original HD sig will be changed by Windows. Can Vboot return HD Sig back to original at system shutdown or next Win reboot from the HD? The reason is, many users won't be able to do it manually due to lack of skills.

- If I manually modify system HD Sig (by what means?) to avoid the collision, will I be able to boot again from that HD: all I need for that is to update the above Registry key with new Sig - how exactly?

- In that MountedDevices subkey, volume drive letters can change from boot to boot depending on number of disks present and recognized at boot time. Also mounted devices are not easy to recognize. I think, the collision question should be answered in detail in Vboot FAQ, and also such anti-collision solution should possibly be integrated into Vboot. AFAIK, Paragon BR Suite does it quite well at System Volume Restore stage onto a different HD - are there other tools doing it similarly well?
sambul16
Fresh Boarder
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2011/09/08 19:52 By sambul16.

Go to topPage: 1...7891011121314